Sunday 25 March 2012

Evaluation Question 2 - How effective is the combination of your main product ancillary texts?

Panel 1 features a close-up of the character, albeit his face partially covered. This allows him to be sufficiently featured to continue the promotion of the band/character/mascot, while also connoting that part of his identity is missing, in line with the theme of the music video. A previous design that was to be used featured the same character standing next to an up-ended trolley, which is also featured in the second panel. The connotations of this image were to enhance the feeling of loneliness. However, the brand recognition of this image was not enough, instead being a better back cover, due to the large amount of space available for track listings. To increase the brand recognition, I chose an image that was much more clearly promoting something, in this case the individual associated with my music video. This also influenced my further choices.
The second panel takes influence from the scenes in my music video that are in black and white, to further reference earlier rock videos, as well as the film Control. The presence of a shopping trolley, which was my inital choice for the front panel, is present to connote a general feeling of uncertainty about the state of society. Initial ideas for my second panel included a medium shot of the character walking towards the camera. However, I felt that this would wekan the effects of my first and third panel. As a result, I chose to use a shot where the character was taking up less of the shot.
This is directly contrasted by the third panel, which serves to enhance the connotations of the first panel, as well as promote the character's image in its own right. The image is very similar to its first panel counterpart, with the only difference being that the character's face is fully visibile. Many of the originally planned images for this panel were shared with the second panel and magazine advert, but once I had decided upon the first panel, I wanted to pick a similar image that would create the desired effect of opening the digipak to reveal more about the character, something that ties in with the connotations of my music video.
I had a large choice in terms of my final panel. Some candidates continued the theme of character close-ups, others provided ample space to include track information. Ultimately, I decided to take the latter route, as I still felt that an over-saturation of emphasis on the main character would weaken its effect. I also felt that it was important to provide contrast to the front panel image, something which was only achievable by placing less emphasis on the character. However, I was able to choose an option that still featured the character in a well-lit shot that also continued the theme of walking, implying that he continued to walking even after the conclusion of the music video.
My final print production, the magazine advert, I decided to once again use the connotation of loneliness in reference to the character. However, I also added another convention which furthers the promotion of my digipak. By looking towards my digipak cover, as well as into the distance, the character introduces connotations that reference the future of the band. This aspect also draws the viewers' eyes towards the digipak artwork, a technique that will likely increase interest in the band. In addition to the connotations created by character and digipak, I also chose to feature reviews by established and relatively famous names to give it some authenticity. The font featured throughout my digipak is also used to provide release information to tie it in with my digipak. As I have referenced through the star ratings featured on my magazine advert, it would likely be found in alternative music magazines, such as Q and NME, as well as an additional piece in some national newspapers. I feel that this would be the best way to maximise brand recognition and access the largest potential audience available.

No comments:

Post a Comment